The use of prepaid credit cards in Germany
Having a prepaid credit card helps you conveniently manage your finances here. Cash has been king in Germany for long, but the country has observed a steady increase in credit card payments. Prepaid credit scard in Germany are widely accepted in big department stores and supermarkets.
List of prepaid credit card providers in Germany
All these banks and prepaid credit card providers offer different banking options at different prices. Comparing the specifications of each bank and credit card can be time-consuming. Are you wondering which bank offers the best deals or the best customer support? We have listed the most reliable banks and fin-tech companies below while using the following criteria:
Barcelycard (VISA) is the most used credit card in Germany – accepted almost everywhere – low withdrawal costs and no hidden fees!
WorldVisa is widely accepted within Germany. Great customer service and withdrawel fees
Works only with Bank account – English platform – Free creditcard. Short onboarding
Works only with Bank account – Free worldwide withdrawals and Free credit card
Documents required for a credit card application
Germany prepaid credit card comes with various benefits. So, open a German bank account and get a credit card to avail all the accompanying benefits. To open a bank account, you require these documents:
- National identity proof or your passport
- Registration proof
- Student registration for students
- Some banks can also ask for income proof
A linked bank account is not vital to get a prepaid credit card. But having it will prove beneficial to you, especially when you are staying in Germany for an extended time.
Advantages of prepaid credit cards
Whenever you make any payment with a credit card, you are borrowing that amount, and you need to pay off that credit. But a prepaid credit card is quite different from the normal credit card. It is a cost-effective cash alternative. When you use the prepaid card, you already have money on your Maestro prepaid card and can spend till that balance reaches zero. After that, the prepaid cards Germany needs to be funded again.
Though prepaid credit card Germany is not the same as normal credit cards, it needs to follow the regulations of other credit cards.
Advantages of prepaid credit cards:
- No credit checks are done while issuing a prepaid Mastercard Germany
- Pay your bills with prepaid visa card Germany
- You can manage your money conveniently
- Better theft and loss protections
- Eliminates the risk of overspending
- Rewards for referring prepaid Maestro card Germany to other customers
Tips and tricks
If you are using a regular credit card, your borrowed money gets deducted from the linked bank account, or you can even receive an invoice for your spendings. Here switching to a prepaid credit card is the best option for doing cashless transactions.
Switching to your preferred provider is very easy. You only need to register with them and prove your identity with a valid ID-card or passport.
But before switching to your preferred provider, it is vital to do thorough research. Compare the different providers and consider various parameters like spending limit and worldwide accessibility. Also, search whether your payments done with the credit card are fully secured.
Best credit card with checking account in Germany
Mastercard via N26 bank is the best card for expats in Germany that is accepted worldwide. Your online payments are fully secured, with the extra 3D Secure security layer. If you ever lose the prepaid card, you can effortlessly lock it from the Spaces app and reorder it.
With secure fingerprint identification, you can easily log into your N26 account. The instant push notifications after every transaction keep you up-to-date with your account activity.
FAQ about prepaid credit cards in Germany
During your research, you will find several prepaid credit cards like Mastercard, VISA card, Maestro card, etc. To select the best of all:
- compare the different cards
- pay attention to withdrawal costs
- consult your friends and colleagues
A little research will guide you in getting the best-prepaid card for yourself.
You can get a prepaid card in two easy steps. Register with your favored credit card provider and complete the process by submitting the required documents.
- Register – Either visit the branch office or register at the online portal to get the prepaid card.
- Documents – Usually passport or a valid ID card is required. To eliminate the delay, it would be better to verify the required documents from your chosen credit card provider.
There are more than 24 prepaid credit cards in Germany. Among all the available choices, Mastercard and Visa cards are the most recommended ones.
- N26 prepaid cards: The smart and digital Mastercard helps you stay on top by flexibly and effortlessly managing your finances. You can open your N26 account within minutes by confirming your email address. Download the app, verify your identity, and this brings you your N26 prepaid card.
- Mastercard prepaid cards: Get full control of your finances with Mastercard prepaid cards. It is an ideal solution for traveling on a budget. Charge it up, and you are ready to access the modern and secure means of payment. Mastercard does issue credit cards on their own. You need to contact the credit institutions that are listed on their website or can also contact your bank.
- DKB Visa card: You will get a free credit card for a contactless function that offers you secure payments worldwide. With DKB Visa card, you can also withdraw cash from any of the ATM’s all through the world without getting charged.
- American Express credit cards: There is a wide range of credit cards offered by American Express. All these cards come with numerous rewards and benefits. To enjoy these benefits, you can apply online. Once the application is approved, enjoy the journey that is full of rewards.